Saturday, June 21, 2008

linkin' away...

I have a few cool links to pass along.

First, for you expecting mamas!  My friend Julie sent me this super cool site today & I thought some of you might be interested.  It's a baby name genie to help pick your baby name.

Second, for you mamas of infants and young toddlers!  Julie gave me a heads up on a recent article safemama.com did on wet-wipes.  Turns out I've been using one of the most chemical-laden wipes.  AHH!  I often make my own wipes but have been pretty lazy in that department lately.  Directions for my hand made wipes (thanks to my friend Jenni) below. 

Third, another piece of good info from safemama.com.  Consider tossing your vinyl shower curtain.  Turns out that strong smell when you open the package is just an indication of the crap in those things.  Who-da thunk?  (and yes, that's sarcasm.)  Kinda reminds me of the strong smell from the new carpet we just got.  I don't think I even want to know what's in that carpet.  I'm not ready to give up carpet, people!  ;)  Anyway, check this out regarding the shower curtain. 

Finally, for you bloggers!  Looking to increase traffic to your site?  Though I wouldn't mind more traffic, it's not currently a goal of mine.  For those of you who are interested, zrecs had some great tips to increase traffic.

Have a great rest of the weekend.  I'll be gone for a few days and off the computer (will I survive?).  I'm heading up north with the kids to visit my brother's family.  I'll be traveling 5 hours each way by myself with them.  Wish me luck!  I'll need it.  I'm almost done packing and it looks like I am packing for the Duggars.

Tricia

Homemade Baby Wipes

1 Roll of High Quality Paper Towels (or substitute wash cloths for you environmentally conscious folks).  I use Viva paper towels - they are strong and soft.
2 Cups Hot Water
2 Tsp Organic Soap (I use California Baby Body Wash)
1 Tsp Baby Oil (I use Burt's Bees)

Cut paper towels in half (save one half for next time).  I use a serrated knife.  Heat water for 2 minutes in microwave safe container.  Add soap and oil and stir until disolved.  Pour the hot water mixture in a 2.5 quart container.  Immerse smooth end of paper towels in water mixture.  Immediately flip the paper towels and place the rough-cut end into the water mixture.  Allow to soak for 5 minutes.  Remove saturated center cardboard and pull out a towel or two from the center to throw out (they would have been glued to the cardboard).  You are now ready to start using - pull from the center.  I place mine in a wipe warmer to keep them moist & warm.  In hot temps, use within one week to avoid mold.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tricia!
I recently found your blog through a link. What a super great blog you have! I especially enjoyed the digi scrap info, although I'm strictly a paper scrapper - but you never know, right? :)

I'll be coming back regularly, you seem to be a fountain of useful tips!

Minna

Unknown said...

Tricia,

As usual, your blog is so much fun to read. I wish when you kids were little that there was such a thing as a blog - but come to think of it - there weren't even computers!!

Your blog is very useful - entertaining and just plain fun to read.

I thoroughly enjoy hearing about what you and Tad are doing - but especially like to hear about Samuel and Sydney. Samuel and Sydney are just so precious - and I am not prejudiced - at all.

Mom
P.S. The birthday cake blocks were not only cute, they were DELICIOUS. Remember when Samuel put an entire block in his face?

Kim said...

Great blog Tricia!!! How in the world do you find the time to do all this!? Its awesome! So I saw you use California Baby? I came across that a couple months ago and have been considering trying it. I am on an all natural/organic kick! Its actually becoming an obsession! :)