Wednesday, June 4, 2008

i'm a hippie??

My husband called me a hippie.  At first I thought he was mocking me, but then realized he actually meant it as a compliment.  I've never ever thought of myself as a hippie.  And any hippie out there would probably be totally offended that I was categorized with them.  Upon looking "hippie" up on dictionary.com I got the following definition:

noun. a person, esp. of the late 1960s, who rejected established institutions and values and sought spontaneity, direct personal relations expressing love, and expanded consciousness, often expressed externally in the wearing of casual, folksy clothing and of beads, headbands, used garments, etc.

Hmmm... based on the above definition I don't make a very good hippie.  I was born in the 70s.  I'm not one to reject established institutions, I wouldn't call myself spontaneous, I'm not overly lovey, and I wouldn't call my wardrobe "folksy". Wait, do running clothes count as "folksy"?  But, one part of that definition above really struck a cord with me:  expanded consciousness.  That is really one of the reasons why I started this blog (though I never put it so eloquently): to expand my consciousness regarding my family's health.  To take notice of what we are exposing ourselves to and what we are putting into our bodies.  I'm a big believer that what you put in is what you get out - whether in relation to how we are nurturing our body, mind, or spirit.  Everything needs gas to go and it's all about finding the right kind of gas for the mind, body, and spirit.

Does People magazine qualify as good gas for the mind?  Hmmmm...  It's a learning curve and I might be on the short end still.

When I think of hippie I also think of earth-loving people.  I wish I could say my motives were environmental.  I do care, and worry, about the environment but the truth is my real motivation for much of the mommy research I do stems from my desire to live healthy.  (I say desire because I'm not always successful at realizing the *healthy* part.  Though I did choose an oatmeal raisin cookie - o.k. fine, cookieS - today instead of chocolate chip.)  Anyway, I'm quickly learning that a lot of things that are not good for us are also not good for the environment, which really shouldn't surprise me.  It makes perfect sense actually.  So, thanks to these personal revelations, and thanks to friends like Shannon and her blog, I'm also learning to be more environmentally conscious along the way.  Though I have a long way to go.

So, back to my husband... he's a pretty "traditional" kind of guy.  A khakis and dress shirt Eddie Bauer reserved kind of guy (until you spend an evening with him playing Euchre over a couple of beers).  So, you can see why a hippie compliment sort of surprised me.  Frankly, I sort of thought he might think I'm wasting my time because both of us agree that the information out there is both daunting and biased and it's hard to know if the preventative steps we take are solving a problem or creating a new one.  But I think he likes that I worry about the good of our family and I think he agrees that it's better to try to be informed and to not just give up.  I'm getting to him too... I caught him picking weeds which I've never seen him do before (prior years the weed killer came out) and he said he did it just for us.

See, even us old dogs can learn new tricks.  And us younger dogs can too. ;)  I say that because one of us is turning a year older this week and it's not me.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  *wink, wink*

3 comments:

A Crafty Mom said...

You play euchre down there??? I thought that was a Canadian thing - ha ha, what do I know? My DH is reserved and traditional too - although he is usually on board with my "green-ness" I occasionally catch him rolling his eyes when he thinks I'm not looking! Thanks for another shout out - I love it!!! I meant to tell you (and forgot, as always) that Leah does the same thing in her bouncy seat - I am so sad to have to put it away soon!! I think she'll be out of the swing soon too, her size and her ability to move and turn over are working against me. And I got my funky bag lady bag - LOVE it and I'm getting tons of comments BUT there is no way I can use it as a diaper bag. I don't know what I was thinking, I just still carry too much stuff. I love it as a carryall/purse though and use it daily now. For now the Lands End ginormi-bag sticks with our little traveling circus when we go out :-)

Anonymous said...

Tricia,

I love to read your blog. You have such a great way with words and you do make me laugh.

Mom

Anonymous said...

I'm a hippie with you! I so look forward to your daily topics. You should go 'pro'.

I want to see you post about the fact it took you a couple of days to name Syd! I think that is so funny as you are such a planner and organized researcher!

JET