Monday, June 30, 2008

the dirty dozen

Yesterday Sydney was baptized (see slideshow above).  It was a really nice ceremony and she was P.E.R.F.E.C.T.  I was so thrilled because she was happy during the ceremony AND she let people interact with her all day.  You may remember from previous posts that she's quite the mommy & daddy's girl.  But it appears that she's now enjoying other people's company.  YEAH for my baby girl!

We had a party at our house after the ceremony.  Perfect weather, good company, and good food (excuse the lack of modesty there!).  And for the first time ever I did a good job gauging how much food would be needed.  Normally I have an enormous amount of leftovers.  While there were still left overs, it's a manageable amount that we should be able to eat up as a family without tossing extra.  In fact, I'm embarrassed to say that I was disappointed that there was only 1 piece of cake left over....until... I read a recent post of Shannon's.  After reading that post I realized just how indulgent I was being wishing I could eat leftover cake for a week.  I know it's not good for me.  And I know we should watch our sugar and processed food intake.  But man do I love me some CAKE (this one had a raspberry filling - YUM)!
Anyway, Shannon's great post (Thanks Shannon!  Just the reality check I needed before grabbing another bar!) motivated me to trek out with the kids today to our closest co-op.  The truth is, I'm not a poster-child for organic eating.  Our local grocery doesn't carry it so I have to drive 20 minutes for it.  I know that's a do-able drive but with the day-to-day living of caring for 2 little ones, combined with the higher price of organic food, I simply make it a low priority.  Plus, I get easily overwhelmed because it's not just eating organically that makes for healthy nutrition (there is a lot of crappy food out there that is made with organic products)... it's eating less processed foods, more pure foods, less allergenic foods (for the little ones), in combination with eating foods without pesticides (organic).

So, if you are like me and are looking for a place to start, I thought you would appreciate knowing about The Dirty Dozen and the Cleanest 12, a list of the 12 foods with the most and least amount of pesticides.  It gives a bit of focus for overwhelmed people like myself when organic is not always an option.  This list was created by The Environmental Working Group.  Check out their blog too as it's filled with great information.  I'm diggin' this non-profit group that helps keep US politicians and their policies on their toes.

1 comment:

A Crafty Mom said...

Don't feel guilty about eating cake, lol, I'm the queen of all cake lovers :-) We are just starting to buy more organic foods, and only b/c we have a lot of options where we live and it has become much easier for us. Cooking and baking more is a bit more time heavy, but I am slowly getting the hang of it and hope I continue with it. I think it will make a big difference in how I feel (and it already has!).

I'm glad the baptism was so successful - isn't it great when they are so good when we need them to? What a little cutie Syd is!!!!