Friday, May 16, 2008

a new beginning

The other day the kids and I had what seemed to be one of those "terrible, horrible, no good, very bad days".  After some toys thrown at windows (not by me!), hitting (again, not by me!), tantrums, pure exhaustion, and crying (yes, by me too), I was at my wits end.  I really didn't know how to turn things around, until I looked outside.  The sun was shining, and that very cute birdie that keeps pecking at every window in our house was back for her daily hello.  I then peered across the street to find my neighbor mowing his lawn, his VERY big lawn.  Then from down the street comes another neighbor on his riding mower to help.  Before long another neighbor came on their tractor as well, and then yet another!  There were four people mowing my neighbor's lawn on a beautiful sun-shiny day.  You may wonder if my neighbor needed the help.  Nope, he's perfectly healthy.  The other neighbors pitched in simply to lend a hand and to enjoy the day together.  And THIS is what turned my "terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day" around.  It was just the thing I needed to lift my spirits and remind myself that life is good.  Very good.

During the next tantrum (as there will certainly be many more to come) I am going to try to remind myself that "this too shall pass".  Kate, from my favorite reality show "Jon & Kate plus 8" (about their life raising a set of twins and a set of sextuplets) once said that each day is a chance for a new beginning.  I'm going to take that a step further and say that each moment is a chance for a new beginning.  When I feel myself or my kids getting into a funk I'm really going to try to look for simple things to lift our spirits and turn things around.

Enjoy your new beginning,

Tricia

p.s. That cute birdie I referred to is a female cardinal my son nick-named "Crash" because she's been running into our windows for weeks trying to protect her territory from her own reflection. *sigh*  There's a male in the area too so she must be fighting for her man.

p.p.s. I should note that my attitude also improved thanks to a little retail therapy!  My cool new diaper bag arrived (which I LOVE except I think the inside pockets could be a touch bigger & deeper to accommodate toddler diapers better).  I also got a package in the mail with a generous gift for Sydney and loads of fantastic hand-me-downs from a great friend too (Thanks Jennifer!).

No comments: