Thursday, May 22, 2008

mama got a job!

Big news:  I was offered a part-time, work-from-home, contracting position today, and I accepted!  I have not been actively looking for a job but my contracting company has been on the look-out for something flexible for me.  I'll be working 15-25 hours a week and the great news is that for the most part I can do these hours whenever I want to, which means less time for the kids in child-care.  I've been told it won't be my most challenging job but the pay is the same as my previous rate and the flexibility can't be beat.  I'll be outsourced by my company to a company who is outsourcing me to another company - gotta love today's tech world.

Of course, I have some mixed emotions because it means less time with the kids.  And naturally I worry about child-care.  And selfishly I'm also sad to think of the fact that I may need to spend less time on my hobbies and creative outlets, though I'm hoping this blog won't suffer as I'm really having fun with it!  Maybe my new crazier life will give me blog material, though I won't write about my experiences with work - I'm not that dumb.

My husband jokingly said, "Does this now mean you are going to be a part-time mom?"  He's referring to the fact that I tend to take offense to the term "full-time mom".  Aren't ALL moms full-time moms, even if they have a job outside the home?  I don't think stay-at-home-moms mean any offense with that term.  And I do feel that stay-at-home-moms deserve a loaded title equal to their efforts (is such a title possible!) because as I've said before it's a totally under-appreciated and very difficult job.  But yet, somehow I can't seem to get past that term and feel that it implies working moms are "part-time moms" even if it's not the intent.  I suppose my offense stems from my own insecurity.

So, let me introduce you to the new me:  a full-time mom/wife/doggie mommy/daughter/sister/friend/dork and a part-time business analyst in the software industry.  I start the BA job next Wednesday.

Can I sneak in a Sam-story?  Tonight I caught him trying to get into my jewelry box.  When I asked what he was doing he said, very reassuringly, "I'm not opening your jewelry box."  Sure you're not, Sam.  Later he tried again, this time behind a closed door.  When I busted him again he said, "This box is just for you, mommy?  I want to be you mommy." and then quickly bursted into song singing "I Wanna Be Like You" from "The Jungle Book".  "ooh ooh ooh!  I wanna be like you!  I wanna walk like you, talk like you, tooooo!..."

He's double trouble now - both mischievous and cunning.  But he sure is cute and knows how to make a sucker out of me.  Just yesterday he said, "Mommy, I love you.  I like your smile."  Awwwwe.


2 comments:

A Crafty Mom said...

LOL - you're right, don't write about work b/c that's how Dooce lost her original job!!! I'm really happy for you and I'm sure it will all work out. . . you'll always be a full-time mom :-)

bkallsen said...

Awesome Tricia! Congratulations!!

BK